This edition of the CGOWCA Newsletter is brought to you by Myers Orléans.
“See you at the ODR!” – Jeanne d’Arc Park Outdoor Rink
The outdoor rink (ODR) will open soon! Thanks to dedicated volunteers, Convent Glen Orléans Wood has one of the best outdoor rinks in Ottawa. Located in Jeanne d’Arc Park, behind Convent Glen Catholic School, at 1155 St. Moritz Court.
Come out anytime. Bring family and friends. It’s a great place for pick-up hockey, learning how to skate and getting some exercise outdoors!
Our rink is one of 255 outdoor rinks in Ottawa. More than any city in Canada and probably the world. The rinks are all made and maintained by volunteers! It’s an Ottawa “thing” and it says a lot about the pride we take in our communities. If you would like to help out in our area, meet some new friends and neighbours, or do your volunteer hours, we are looking for volunteers. Please contact the Association at: email@example.com
Special thanks to Robertson Rent-All for the lawn roller used to prepare the rink.
3rd Annual Winter Carnival
This year’s Winter Carnival will be here before we know it! Come out to Jeanne d’Arc Park on Saturday February 8, between 10:30am and 12:30pm for some family-friendly fun. Previous years have had games and skating mixed with hot chocolate and time to connect with neighbours. We hope to see you there. This event is free. Donations to the Convent Glen Orléans Wood Community Association are welcome.
Snow Go Program
The Snow Go Program can help you! This program is divided into two parts to match your individual needs to the appropriate service. The two programs are as follows:
- The Snow Go Program provides a matching service for seniors and people with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways. Residents who participate in this program are responsible for paying the individual or contractor removing the snow.
- The Snow Go Assist Program provides financial assistance to eligible low-income seniors or persons with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways. Approved participants may be reimbursed for 50 % of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250.
In our area, contact the Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre at: 613-741-6025 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rink Volunteers Needed at Pierre Rocque Park
If you’d like to help with a community rink but live in Convent Glen South, the volunteer rink coordinator at Pierre Rocque Park is looking for help! This rink is not managed by the Convent Glen Orléans Wood Community Association.
Details about requirements and expectations:
- Be minimum 14 years of age
- Have a police record check (cost covered by the City of Ottawa)
- Commit to working 3 to 6 shifts per week (during the day, late evenings and weekends). Depending on weather and ice conditions.
- Work starting at the end of December and ending February 28, 2020.
- Shovel and operate a snowblower
- Water ice rinks 4 days a week.
If you are interested, or would like more details – please contact Jason Ilacqua at 613-867-1994 and email@example.com.